In The Event of a Major Earthquake

What to do if a major quake strikes

The driver should take the measures listed below if a major earthquake strikes:

1) If you're on the road:
* Safely pull your vehicle over to the left side of the road without turning the steering wheel abruptly and avoid braking hard.
* After you've stopped your vehicle, listen to earthquake and traffic bulletins on the radio. Follow instructions on the radio and act in accordance with the situation around you.
* If you're leaving your vehicle to evacuate, park your vehicle off the road if possible. If you have no choice but to leave your vehicle on the road, park along the left side of the road. Turn off the engine, leave your engine key inserted and close the windows, but don't lock the door. Don't park your vehicle in places that may interfere with people evacuating or emergency/rescue vehicles.

2) Don't attempt to evacuate by vehicle.

What to do if traffic is regulated in accordance with the DisasterMeasures Basic Law following a major earthquake

The passage of all vehicles, with the exception of emergency vehicles, will be restricted or prohibited in prefectures (including neighboring and nearby prefectures) where a major earthquake has occurred or is expected to occur, when such steps are deemed necessary for safety. If you're driving an ordinary vehicle in the No Passage Zone (areas or road sections where traffic is restricted) when the traffic restrictions are enforced, you must take the following steps.

1) Move your vehicle immediately to the places indicated below:
* Outside the restricted road sections if traffic is regulated for designated sections of the road.
* Off the road if traffic is regulated for designated areas.

2) If it's difficult to move your vehicle quickly, park it along the left side of the road or in other places where it will not obstruct the passage of emergency vehicles.

3) Follow any instructions from a police officer to move or park your vehicle. The police officer may order you to take necessary measures if your vehicle is obstructing the passage of emergency vehicles in the no passage zone or other regulated areas. If you don't comply or if your absence from the scene makes it impossible for the police officer to give out instructions, then the police officer has the authority to take the necessary measures. This may result in damages to the vehicle or other circumstances in volved with unavoidable circumstances. The duties of the police officer may be undertaken by a Self-Defense Force official or fire officer dispatched to relief operations if police officers are absent from the site.